New industry research from Icontrol Networks discovers an extremely high level of satisfaction among respondents who opted for a professionally installed, do-it-for-me (DIFM) smart home solution.
The Icontrol Networks DIFM Smart Home Survey profiled professionally installed smart home customers, finding that more than 96 percent of respondents report being “very satisfied” or “satisfied” with their systems. Even more impressive, 96 percent stated they would purchase their systems again and 98 percent would still choose professional installation over DIY.
“These survey findings validate the importance of the do-it-for-me market in smart home adoption overall, with incredible customer satisfaction rates from decision to purchase through use,” says Bob Hagerty, CEO of Icontrol Networks, in a press release from the company.
“This data should be an eye-opener for what we can expect in the future of smart home adoption. No one size fits all when it comes to the smart home, and consumers want the option to choose what fits their lifestyles and needs.”
RELATED RESEARCH STORIES:
Icontrol’s findings are staggeringly promising statistics for professional TecHome builders and integrators, especially those concerned with potential business loss due to the growth of DIY smart home solutions.
“The emerging opportunity for DIFM service providers is to educate customers on the possibilities,” says Hagerty.
Another major discovery from the research showcased security’s strength in consumers’ decisions surrounding the smart home.
General security concerns and specific security events were the top reasons most people purchased a system in the first place, as well as being the most widely used technology within the smart home. Approximately 70 percent of total respondents are using security system arming/disarming, video cameras and door lock control once a week or more.
Other key findings include:
Security & Data Concerns
- 97.4 percent agree or strongly agree that their system will not be accessed illegally and nearly 91 percent agree or strongly agree that their data will not be used for marketing purposes.
- When asked why they chose their service provider, more than half (60 percent) cited the reputation of the company.
- When evaluating systems, most went to websites (72 percent) or recommendations by family/friends (51 percent), and 43 percent found more information via advertising.
Ease of Use
- Usage of lighting/appliances and thermostat were driven by convenience, 62.1 percent and 45.3 percent, respectively. Ease of use drove customer usage of door lock and garage door control features as well, at 37.4 percent and 36.6 percent, respectively.
- While less than a quarter of respondents installed third-party devices, those who did were most likely to install smart thermostats, smart garage doors and Amazon Echo. Convenience and environmental concerns were the most cited reasons to install these third-party features.
Icontrol Networks’ DIFM Smart Home Survey findings are based on data collected by a third-party research firm from 552 respondents across seven branded smart home solutions – including solutions powered by Icontrol Networks as well as other technology providers. Participants were required to be at least 25 years old, a homeowner and own a security system with home automation.
For more great content, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters